Tuesday, March 08, 2005

a numbing effect

on saturday, darrin did his scheduled 8 mile run with his group. i was invited to join them, but since saturday mornings are currently tightly booked with my kids' activities, i was forced to decline. i was looking forward to a long run, though. i am happy to report that i was able to sneak in the 8 miles later on. i did a loop that i haven't done in over 18 months. in fact, the 8 miles was the longest i've run since november of 2003. that's not good. the first mile or so, as usual, was unpleasant. it always takes me a while to get into a rhythm. i never feel good during the first mile. after that, i pretty much cruised. aside from some mild soreness, my legs felt fine afterwards.
it was pretty late at nite when i ran, and i get some perverse satisfaction when my presence causes people's dogs to go completely bezerk, and in the process awaken everyone on the block. there's a couple of particularly loud and rambunctous beasts that i know are on a chain or invisible fence, and i'll bark back or tease them and really get them going! hee hee. one of these days, cujo will break loose and i'll really be in trouble. so, if i suddenly stop blogging...
the only thing that always bothers me on longer runs is my feet going numb. it always happens between miles four and five. it lasts for a few miles, then i regain feeling. i've tried loosening my shoe laces, stretching before i run, etc. this is my third pair of shoes that i've owned since i started running again a couple of years ago, and it's happened regardless of which pair i wear. i need a new pair again, and will have a friend, who is a running coach, and very accomplished runner take a look at my stride and give me some advice on shoes. hopefully she can find something that the folks at my running shoe store cannot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home