Wednesday, June 01, 2005

hill work

from what i understand, there might be a hill or two on the IMMOO course;) now i know that the race is still 15 months away, but the weather's been beautiful and i was feeling motivated, so i thought i'd try a little hill training.
as i've mentioned, there's not an overabundance of hills here, but there is one Pretty Damn Steep (PDS) hill about 6 miles away. so, sunday afternoon, after doing a 15 mile ride with andrew and nathan, i set off to Old Paris Road, past Pumpkin Works, and came across my training partner. it's about 3/4 mile long, has a fairly sharp curve, and, like i said, is PDS. i don't know how to measure % grade or anything like that, but it'll suffice for my needs. the first time i trekked up it, i hit it pretty hard. i was out of the saddle for a while and was fairly winded by the time i hit the top. i turned around, coasted down, and went up again. surprisingly, i didn't feel that much worse the second time. the third ascent was more difficult. in all, i went up that thing five times. by the time i reached the summit the fifth time, i was toast.
i spun easily for a couple of miles before turning to go home. on the return home, i was looking forward to cranking down that hill for the last time. it was on this hill two years ago that i reached my fastest speed ever on the bike - 52mph. i usually hit 35 - 40mph if i just coast down it, but i thought maybe i'd like to break that record.
the beginning of the descent is not too steep and is a good place to gain some speed. and i did just that. unfortunately, there was a car coming up behind me. hmmm.. decision time. do i let it pass me, but in the process slow down and ruin all the fun of the descent, or do i hammer it and stay ahead of the car? because this hill has a curve on the steepest section, i can actually go faster on it than a car can. i started to hammer it, but the car came up too fast. he was just past me as we started the steep curvy section. i hit it, and closed the gap on the car to about 10 yards when i decided to slow down because i didn't want to get any closer. i managed to hit 48mph. i could see the driver's face in his rearview mirror. man did he look surprised to see a guy on a bike come up behind him because he was going too slow down a hill! heh.

buying a decent road bike: $1000
shoes, pedals, and accessories: $250
the facial expression of a Common Man glancing in his rearview mirror as i get ready to pass his car while riding a bike at nearly 50mph: priceless

folks, it's moments like this that make all the work worth it.

9 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Comm's said...

Yes! Boy thats a great story. Priceless is exactly the right word to describe that. I wish i could have seen his face too.

Ya know...he probably thought he was so cool when he passed you, maybe he even thought, "Pfft, damn cyclist taking up the roads, humbug." Then to see you physically crowding him proclaiming, "Hey get your ass in gear and move it" must of hit him hard

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger :) said...

I LOVE IT...but be careful. I read a story about a guy that went through a girls rear glass when the driver of the car suddenly slammed on her brakes for no reason on a straight down hill....in the middle of the hill! I think she got nervous that there was cyclist behind her. But, I find myself doing the same thing sometimes...a little risk is good for us right??? You break that record next time!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

HOLY COW! This is awesome, but PLEASE don't get killed before IMMOO!

I DO NOT want to ride that bike course without you guys!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

You're scaring me, man! I haven't seen a "4" as the first number on the speedometer yet....

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Great post! Though, I have many fears about becoming apart of someone's elses car. I myself haven't hit 40 yet, either Nancy, but 52?!?!? Yeah!!!! That motivates me!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Oldman said...

sounds like a fun time...the only hills we have here in SWFL are overpasses so I never get hill work or get to go fast.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Born To Endure said...

You rock!!!!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Vertical Man said...

I love the speed too, but now all I think about is the story making the rounds about the triathlete (forgot the name) whose fork collapsed sending her onto her face. My face ain't great but I prefer not to have asphalt re-arrange it.

Be safe!

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Story! That is priceless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home