Wednesday, January 04, 2006

i think i've been uncoordinated

getting medical test results is always harder than it should be. by the time the lab here finally managed to successfully fax the results to the transplant hospital yesterday, sandy, the transplant coordinator had gone home, so i didn't find out anything. i called her this morning and whaddya know - blood glucose levels NORMAL! ha! then sandy hit me with:

"but the doctor wants to see a 3-day log of blood pressure readings before we can go on."

excuse me? are you kidding? blood pressure readings? i suppose this isn't something you could have told me about 2 months ago when i had the initial tests??!! keep in mind that i haven't heard anything from the transplant team since i was there in late october. they just told me at the time that i'd need to have my glucose level retested before the procedure, which we had penciled in for january 24th. i reminded sandy of this date. sandy then produced another blow:

"oh, we won't be able to do it then. the 31st is still open, though."

tell me you're kidding. TELL me you're kidding.

"so, sandy, exactly when the FUCK were you planning on telling me this information??!!"

well maybe i didn't say "fuck", but i think i got my point across. i mean, she's the freakin' coordinator! communication is her JOB. yet i can never get any information out of her. it's a good thing i hadn't gotten my airline tickets yet. anyway, i am going to keep a log of blood pressure readings until friday (which my wife will perform), fax that to her, then, gee maybe we can actually have a concrete date for this. i'm hoping for january 31st.
needless to say, i wasn't real happy with sandy this morning. i could rant on and on about it, but i don't think that would do any real good. on to other things, i ran alone last nite, as darrin wimped out, muttering something about having a presentation to do for work. here's the results:

3.2m@30:21/9:29
another mindless 9 laps. not as fast as yesterday, but it was a pretty comfortable pace. the weather was still pretty nice too. i'm hoping that all the really cold weather happens in february when i can't run anyway due to the recovery!

2 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger White Salamander said...

Nothing worse than the "I have a big presentation due in the morning" excuse. Way to stick it the coordinator too. Sometimes I wonder about people in the medical field and the way they view things. There is a real disconnect between them and the way the rest of have to live.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Bolder said...

yah... i hear yah... you can never ask enough questions when you are dealing with hospital staff...

should i be taking my temperature and logging that too? if, i log my blood pressure, will you let me ...

sending good thoughts.

p.s. coincidently, i had an unpublished new years resolution to not use the word fuck in my blog, 'cause i could see it coming, i lasted until yesterday as well...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home