Wednesday, March 30, 2005

its bikin' time

i love the bike. of the three disciplines in triathlon, the bike is by far my favorite. as i do not own a trainer, and the weather here has been about as cooperative as mark mcguire at a steroids hearing, i have not ridden my bike since last fall. but alas... i got home from work yesterday to a balmy 68 degrees! knowing i didn't have much time, as i had to take my son to baseball practice, i ran upstairs, dusted off my bike shorts and shoes, aired up my tires, and took to the streets. the first half mile was pure bliss. then, as i turned a corner to go west, my old nemesis returned.

Wind.

even the times when i was "in shape", i was never considered "thin". i was always stocky or muscular. now that i'm not "in shape", it's even worse. at my size, i might as well raise a sail on my bike, and when Wind decides to play against me, it is the challenge that i dread the most. give me heat, hills, unleashed dogs, a swarm of insects... even give me paula abdul at the wheel, but please, do not give me Wind.

anyway, because of my limited time, i only did about 30 minutes - good enough for almost nine miles. i had a blast. i hope the weather holds out for this weekend when i might be able to get in a legitimate ride.
i do need to spend a couple of hours sometime doing a little spring cleaning on my bike. it's been in the garage all winter. unlike the tri geek kahuna, i do not wine and dine, sleep with, or even have a name for my bike... but i do ride her hard...

5 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger :) said...

I am with you, I love this time of year and I love my bike! I am riding a metric century this weekend for some base training...
WOOT!

Flatman

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger soccerdad said...

i'm envious. i have a 12 mile run scheduled for saturday, but the weather is supposed to be sunny in the 60s sunday, so hopefully i'll get some miles in then.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger White Salamander said...

It's ironic to read all the tri blogs out there and athletes such as your self getting excited about the improving weather while in Arizona everyday I keep thinking "Man, its really starting to get hot!"

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would love to live in a warmer climate. it's weird, but even though i'm not a 5% body fat person, the heat doesn't usually bother me. i'd much rather run in 100 degress than 10 degrees.

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home